Eating out is proven to be less healthy than cooking at home. There are more calories in those yummy meals, even though we know they are convenient. Plan a few of your meals for the week and you will get hooked! Start small – there are many recipes with only 5-10 ingredients that are easy. See our recipes below for some ideas.
All you have to do is take some time each week (Sundays are good) to go through a three step process: plan your meals for the week, go shopping, and do whatever you need to do to prepare them ahead of time (like thaw frozen items or clean the necessary dishes).
1) POACHED EGG TOAST
• 2 eggs
• 2 slices whole grain bread
• ⅓ avocado
• 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
• salt and pepper for topping
• fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, or basil) for topping
• quartered heirloom tomatoes for serving
1. Bring a pot of water to boil (use enough water to cover the eggs when they lay in the bottom). Drop the metal rims (outer rim only) of two mason jar lids into the pot so they are laying flat on the bottom. When the water is boiling, turn off the heat and carefully crack the eggs directly into each rim. Cover the pot and poach for 5 minutes (4 for super soft, 4:30 for soft, 5 or more for semi-soft yolks).
2. While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread and smash the avocado on each piece of toast. When the eggs are done, use a spatula to lift the eggs out of the water. Gently pull the rim off of the eggs (I do this right on the spatula, over the water) and place the poached eggs on top of the toast. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs; serve with the fresh quartered heirloom tomatoes.
2) HEALTHY BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
• 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 container (5.3 oz) siggi’s blueberry or vanilla bean yogurt
• 1/2 medium ripe banana
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, plus more for serving
1. Place all ingredients except fresh blueberries into a blender; blend until smooth. You may need to add a teaspoon or two of almond milk if batter is way too thick. Set batter aside to thicken up for a few minutes. If batter is too thin, add a tablespoon or two more of oats and blend again.
2. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium low heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Add a few blueberries on top. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more cooking spray and remaining batter. Makes 4 pancakes.
3) QUINOA CEREAL
• 1 cup sweetened or unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, 1% milk , or milk of choice
• ⅓ cup quinoa flakes – you can find these flakes in the cereal section next to the oatmeal
• ¼ cup goji berries, dried blueberries or cranberries – You can also make this without any of the berries
• pinch of sea salt
• peanut butter, almond butter, maple syrup, or honey – I adore topping this cereal with peanut butter, that’s my go-to!
• toasted walnuts or almonds
• fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, peaches, sliced banana
• dried fruit like blueberries, goji berries, mulberries, cranberries, cherries
• chia seed
1. In a small to medium sized saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the almond milk to a boil.
2. When the milk comes to a boil, add in the ⅓ cup quinoa flakes, the ¼ cup goji berries (or dried blueberries) and a pinch of salt, turn off the heat and give the cereal a stir.
3. Let the cereal sit for 3 minutes, (set your timer here) to allow the quinoa flakes to cook through.
4. Give the cereal and give it a final stir. It will be a lot thicker and creamier.
5. Ladle the cereal into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings! I love topping my cereal with fresh fruit in the summer, like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, mango, you name it! I always blend in a big spoonful of peanut butter though! Amazing!
4) 2 MINUTE OMELETTE IN A MUG
• 2 to 3 eggs
• 1 Tbsp of meat, diced (ham, frozen turkey sausage link)
• 1 Tbsp of salsa
• 1 Tbsp shredded cheese
• olive oil or cooking spray
• salt and pepper
1. Coat your mug with olive oil or cooking spray.
2. Add eggs to mug and whisk together with a fork
3. Add diced meat, salsa, cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk till all ingredients are completely mixed together.
4. Microwave on high for one minute. Stir and break up any large chunks of egg.
5. Cook for another 45 to 60 seconds or until eggs are set.
6. Top with a bit more cheese, salt and pepper
5) EASY CHICKEN BURRITO
If you do not have cooked chicken on hand, grill or sear 2 chicken breasts for 10 minutes then slice into thin strips.
• 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
• ½ cup Mexican cheese blend ( or mozzarella)
• 1 avocado diced
• 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
• 4 large tortillas
• 1 tablespoon oil
1. Mix the shredded chicken, cheese, cilantro, and the diced avocados.
2. Lay a tortilla flat on a plate and add ¼ of the mixture, form a roll. repeat the process for all four tortillas.
3. pour 1 tablespoon oil into a heated pan or griddle. Place all four tortillas on the pan and cook for 2 minutes on medium- high heat. Flip on the other side and cook for another minutes or until the the burritos are golden in color. Serve warm.
4. Burritos can be frozen cooked or uncooked for up to 3 months.
6) Herbed Salmon Salad
For the Dressing:
o 1 cup plain reduced-fat Greek yogurt
o 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
o 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
o 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
o Kosher salt and ground black pepper
For the Salad:
o 2 cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
o 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
o 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
o 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
o 2 cups cooked white beans (homemade; or canned, rinsed)
o 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
o 2 tablespoons olive oil
o 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
o 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
o 4 cups baby greens
o 1 cup canned salmon, large bones removed (Or your own cooked)
1. To make the dressing: Whisk together the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, mint, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon water. Set aside.
2. To make the salad: Stir the parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumber, and beans together in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper until it is thick and creamy. Pour the dressing over the beans and toss to combine.
3. Divide the baby greens among 4 plates and top with the beans. Flake the salmon over the top, and serve drizzled with the yogurt dressing.
Happy eating, join our Healthy Eating Challenge!